Psychology of athletes

Posted: Tuesday, November 2, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
0

Workout of the Day

For time:
25 burpee pullups
25 burpee box jumps
25 burpee long jumps
25 burpees

Rest 5 minutes:

Tabata: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
Row
Pushups
L-holds
Squats

I feel like it has been awhile since I have had a "rant" post. This was something that I thought about yesterday, after a brutal "chipper" style workout. My CrossFit family knows, I had long workouts. Anything past the duration is 15 minutes i generally dread doing, hence rarely ever do workouts around that range. While examining myself I started to ask myself why I hated them so much. To me, it is simply not logical to work in that domain because my sport, wrestling, does not require me to. Then I started thinking why I stray away from some workouts that are done under 5 minutes, which is closer in time length to a match. Looking at my record books, the majority of my workouts stay within a 10 minute, give or take time frame. So with this information, I began to classify CrossFitters. I compared myself to my fellow CF coaches, friends, and clients.
I will begin with my first group the "met-con junkies". Yes, I am aware that a metabolic conditioning workout can range from all sorts of time domains, but I think it is safe to say that a crossfit met-con junkie are the group of athletes that are obessesed with "chipper" style workouts or anything that is in a longer time domain. Looking at this from a psychological prospective, I believe these athletes love the feeling of a "good workout", hence the time domain factor, but fear intensity. Yes, I said it, FEAR INTENSITY. A common excuse that is tossed around by this group is "that was too short" or "that wasn't so bad". These statements are true if you are working out at your "chipper pace", that is the 60-70% intensity that is set to pace yourself for a good time on your chipper. Working out at 70% of your max effort will leave you with a good workout feeling after at least 15 minutes of workout, but will diminish as the time frame gets smaller.
My second group are the "power-junkies". This group loves power and olympic lifts, and short range met-cons. Unlike the first group, this group despises anything that will blunt their power output, like time. As time goes further down the spectrum, fatigue sets in and power output decreases. This is an "all or nothing" category of athletes.
My last group are the underachievers. This group is very capable in both domains, but choose to stay within a "comfort zone". This group is very difficult to spot because the classification is not as concrete as the previous two. This group has a fear of time. Anything real short in time requires greater intensity and anything too long is not motivating. AMRAP style workouts are rarely seen in this group. Some athletes in this group may actually fear getting out of breath.
Time for me to get my workout on... test running Thursday's WOD... It should be a goodie!

Stay classy,

Coach A.

0 comments: