Intermittent fasting, BCAAs, and caffeine

Posted: Friday, September 3, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
0

Workout of the Day

AMRAP in 12 minutes:

10- KB swings 35/53/70lbs.
20 yard shuttle run (that means run to the 20 and back)


Every now and then I like to play around with something that is called "intermittent fasting". These are short fasts, usually between 15-18 hours long and have numerous health benefits which include:

  • Reduced blood glucose and insulin levels (markers of improved health)
  • Increased fatty acid oxidation
  • Maintenance of lean mass (muscle)
  • Reduced inflammation
  • Reduced oxidative damage
  • Increased cellular stress resistance (esp of heart and brain)
  • Decreased risks associated with degenerative diseases of aging (cancers, heart diseases, diabetes, Alzheimers
Not to mention helps you get a bit leaner. Anyway, I do this about once a week or so just to see how it effects my body, mood, performance, etc. The past two intermittent fasts have yielded great results in performance. I normally fast, take my BCAAs pre-workout, and some black coffee. However, on Wednesday something odd happened. During the day and before my workout my energy levels were up, I felt good. I decided to do clean and jerks to find a 1rm for my WOD. Though my energy levels were up, my strength was absolutely shot. Something did not feel right. Energy up, form felt amateur, and my power simply was not there. The only thing that I had done differently was take a fiber supplement that morning to clean out the system. I doubt that had anything to do with it... or maybe it did... Overall, I am going to continue the fast again, minus the fiber supplement to see if it was in fact fiber inhibiting digestion?

Stay classy,

Coach A.

Just straight up cool
Visit sicfit.com for more Videos


P.S. Dave and other CF-Westchester goons... remember to bring in dues for tomorrow! (just for you Dave)

0 comments: