Intermittent fasting, BCAAs and caffeine II

Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
0

Workout of the Day

For time, max reps:

Thruster, 65/45lbs.
Rest 5 minutes
Thruster, 95/65lbs.
Rest 5 minutes
Thruster, 135/95lbs.

*This is not a continuous clock. Each set is until failure and will be timed to calculate power output*

A few weeks ago I experimented with intermittent fasting + BCAAs + caffeine. As noted before the effects were not favorable. A few factors that may have included this were sleep quality and fiber supplementation and... I can't think of the other one at the moment. Either one or a combination of the factors could have most definitely effected the hormonal release I was intending. Last time, I attempted a strength workout with good energy levels but my strength and power output felt like that of an infant. This time, I did a short strength met-con with a TON of caffeine, no fiber supplement, an even longer intermittent fast (on an empty stomach)and 6 hours of sleep. Energy levels were pretty decent, despite the lack of sleep. My performance was much better this time around. Strength and power felt good and overall met-con was average. The only con was I did feel a bit "burnt out" during the hang cleans, kind of like an empty gas tank. This was probable due to low glycogen stores and my body not quite being in a ketogenic state, so my metabolic engine was... I guess confused. Overall, I think the caffeine helped with mental clarity, and the fasting mixed with the lack of sleep may have tricked my body into a "fight or flight" response. I will be sure to do this again with the same variables except next time with a decent amount of sleep. Time to get back to work!

Stay classy,

Coach A.

0 comments: