Intermittent fasting, weight cutting, and performance

Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
1

Workout of the Day

Each movement for time:

100 Kettebell swings 70/53lbs.

Rest 3 minutes

100 Box Jumps 30/24”

Rest 3 minutes

100 Pullups


Can you believe it is already Thursday?! Man, time is flying by. Today’s WOD is pretty wacky, kind of a little experiment. Speaking of experiments, today is a nice day for some intermittent fasting. Like last week, I am going on an 18 hour fast with 3 doses of BCAAs and sleep deprivation (which was not done on purpose). Last week, I hypothesized that energy levels and yadi yada where at decent levels because of triggering or “tricking” my body into releasing my survival hormones. This week I will be under just about the same variables, so lets see if I can yield similar results. The WOD I will be doing today is extremely similar to last weeks. I want to see if I will yield similar results, which I think I will. Why am I doing this? Well, there are a few reasons: The main reason is to educate my wrestlers on the effects of fasting, feeding, and proper weight cutting. Throughout high school, I was a big weight cutter. As a lightweight, I regularly cut anywhere from 15-20lbs. Wrestlers know this is a sufficient amount of weight to cut for a lightweight with low bf%. Just to clarify, my “walk around” weight was 15-20lbs heavier then my competition weight. Anyway, my point is that I do not want my athletes to follow my route. I was uneducated, undisciplined and reckless with my weight. If I went into details on my extremely dangerous weight cutting methods you would be shocked that I am still alive. What does this have to do with fasting? Believe it or not, there is a proper way to cut weight and fasting to do so. I can only hypothesize on the proper way to fast and keep energy levels at decent levels. See why I am using myself as an experiment? I am a practice what you preach kind of individual, so there ya go! BReeZe.


Stay classy,


Coach A.



1 comments:

  1. notes thus far: energy decent, massive disorientation, dizzyness, cranky...

    Hour 15: ended fast because of the above symptoms... currently eating a banana and peanut butter