Listening to your body

Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
0

Workout of the Day
courtesy of CrossFit Football

Push jerk 3-3-3-3-3

Max reps:
Bench press 225lbs.
*You get 3 chances to perform the test.
*Rest as needed between efforts.
*If you can not bench 225 lbs, then you can scale with 135 lbs or 185 lbs accordingly.

100 Pull Ups

*Complete 100 pull ups for time using a kipping pull up, a strict pull up or any other way you can from an open shoulder to your head over the bar.


I still have not turned the "on" switch in my brain on yet, so bare with me. I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend, I know I did. I ate like a typical American and now feel like garbage. It has been awhile since I have taken in such heavy loads of carbohydrates for an extended period of time, so my body is paying the price right now. My stomach feels twisted, I feel slightly disoriented, and overall just tired. Today seems like a perfect day for some intermittent fasting to "reset" my body.
Regarding training, something that I think is worth talking about is listening to your body. When you're thirsty, you drink, when you're hungry you eat, when you're tired, you sleep. Seems like common since huh? Why is it that when our bodies are completely battered, we continue to train at high intensities? Now, I am a big advocate in pushing yourself beyond your limits and developing mental toughness. But, when is it appropriate to draw that line between mental toughness and stubbornness? Punishing your body day in and day out can lead to things like over-training, burn-put, and injury. CrossFit and other intense regimens are like candy to the workout enthusiasts. It is what makes us feel good, gives us that workout high at the end. It is what champion athletes strive for. But is going balls to the all 5-6 days per week, multiple times per day making you better? In my opinion, it is flat out stupidity. Personally, my body cannot handle 5 days of intense CrossFitting in a row. I have played around with this several times. My results were not up to my standards and I was losing interest in going to the gym. Ironically, my programming now is based off of a 5 days on 2 days off program. This is mainly because of lifestyle and convenience. However, if you have been paying attention to my workouts I only structure 3 days of real intense movement. The other 2 days are lighter, less intense, skill oriented days. The nature of the program is to save you from yourself. If you follow the program as is, you should be not only improving every physical domain, but do so minimal injury, no burn-out and without a hint of over-training. Over and out!


Stay classy,

Coach A.


Sweet sweat angel

0 comments: