Programming, not as easy as it looks

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 by InvictusCoach in
4


Workout of the Day


Strict Press 3-3-3-3-3
Overhead Squat 3-3-1-1-1
Snatch 3-3-3-3-3


CrossFit programming looks like it requires no skill and very little competency in kinesiology. Just pick out some random exercises, throw in a time or task component and BAM you have your daily WOD. This is what I thought up until a few months ago. Believe it or not, good programming is an acquired skill. Sure, picking exercises out of a hat and matching it with an insane task/time component will get you in shape. But is it going to be the most effective? What will get you that "good stuff" faster? We all know (or should know) intensity is how you achieve your fitness goals the fastest, but the BEST programming out there gets you "the good stuff" faster. I have been training athletes at CrossFit Westchester since April. I will admit, my programming was sub-par at best. To be honest, I am still not a guru at programming. I am still always looking for ways to improve, to make the most beneficial workouts for my athletes, which leads me to the pickle I am in right now with programming. I train my athletes on a strength/power bias. Now big time strength trainers believe that met-cons, even in short duration, inhibits strength gains greatly. While others, like CrossFit Football, embrace the strength bias met-cons. I am kinda on the fence, I agree with both sides. Agreeing with both sides, I have decided to have designated days just for strength, met-con, sprint work, skill work etc. I really like this idea because it hits every side of the spectrum. However, the problem with this is that now there is a routine schedule, not as constantly varied. Not as constantly varied calls for routine days, but not necessarily routine exercises. This is just a rough example of what I mean by routine days:
Monday- strength: 3 multi-joint movements, 5 sets of 1,3, or 5 reps
Tuesday- Met-con: long or short, completely randomized
Wednesday- Active rest: work on gymnastic skills/weaknesses
Thursday- Rest day
Friday- Sprint work/rowing: anything short and explosive
Now everyday week would follow this kind of schedule. I like the idea, but I have not yet perfected it. I plan to give this a try starting in September. In the meantime, I am going to dig up some more research on the pros/cons of this style of training and would love to hear some feedback. Leave a comment!!

Stay classy,

Coach A.


"ADAMBROWN" not only kicked my ass, but nearly murdered my athletes!

4 comments:

  1. As a wrestling coach, I really believe a combination of "heavy" power-lifting movements and both short and long MetCons are of equal importance to wrestling.

    Even if there is some inhibition of absolute strength gain, metabolic conditioning doesn't cause this any more than a 2 hour wrestling practice, which is basically a really long MetCon from a muscular and cardiovascular standpoint. What good is a wrestler who can lift a ton but is gassed in 30 seconds?

  1. True fact Coach. Any suggestions on programming? I've already decided that I am going to change it to 2 met-cons per week, replacing the active rest day with a met-con. Programming that would pertain to not only wrestlers but to other "power" athletes.

  1. I kind of like the CrossFit Football routines of a strength workout usually consisting of 5 sets of 1 multi-joint "power" movement followed by a MetCon.

    I'm just brainstorming here but maybe 3 of those per week, maybe Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Then Tuesday could be for skill work and Thursday for sprints/rows?

    I know it goes a bit against the CrossFit mentality to have a weekly routine, but if you're changing up what goes on during each of those days each week, it is still highly varied. I think the other thing to remember is that the training goals of a wrestler/"power" athlete are not 100% in line with a CrossFitter "purist." So diverging from that mentality slightly would be appropriate for these athletes.

  1. Good point. I've been edging away from the CrossFit mentality since I've started my programming. But I will tell you some interesting stuff. I was doing a "strength bias" with the Wendler strength program, I followed it for 8 weeks or 2 cycles. My strength increased slightly. Since then I have been following more traditional crossfit methods, hitting all ranges of met-cons and only occasionally doing anything strength bias and I have gotten significantly stronger. Example, after the wendler strength program I couldn't hit my deadlift PR. I've been away from a strength bias and tied my PR a few weeks ago. Very odd. I have to dig up some info.